discuss: Glibc Mini-Howto

Subject: Re: Glibc Mini-Howto
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2004 00:11:21 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi @ everyone,
>
> First of all I would like to introduce myself to you:
>
> Name: Kai Schlachter
> job: student, programmer, sysadmin
>
> During my struggle in getting along with Linux for the first time, I
> always found TLDP one of the most useful resources to me.
>
> Now that I have learned a lot, I still learned more: I installed a
> new version of the glibc, falling over almost every stone I could
> find on my way...
> To prevent other users from getting frustrated like I did, I wrote a
> short summary of the installation process. By now the writing work
> ist done, and I would like to get some critics,reviews,ideas on my
> document.
>
> There are two versions availible:
> PDF: www.murphyslantech.de/linux/glibc-howto/glibcinstall.pdf
> LaTeX-Source: www.murphyslantech.de/linux/glibc-
> howto/glibcinstall.tex
>
> Any comment on the document is welcome.

Kai,

Nice document.  I could have used something like this when I first tried
compiling glibc from source.  As you said, there are many stones to trip
over along the way.  I especially like the section on troubleshooting
and backing out if things go wrong.  Very valuable information!

Here are a few suggestions:

* You'll need a licence for the document like the GNU Free Documentation
License or something similarly open.

* You might want to ask around about LaTeX to DocBook conversion as TLDP
requires DocBook or LinuxDoc for markup languages.  Somebody on this
list or the ####@####.#### list might know a good conversion tool.

* You might want to mention the INSTALL file in the glibc source that
gives details on the required versions of make, gcc and so on that are
needed to build.  This could help people decide how much hassle it's
going to be to upgrade.

* You might suggest having a boot/rescue diskset handy as an alternative
to compiling statically-linked bash, coreutils, etc.  This could be a
great time-saver.

* There are also some configure options you might mention that can be
used to force glibc to install in a directory other than /usr/local/lib.
  For example './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make
install_root=/var/tmp install' will build glibc for use in /lib and
/usr/lib, but do the actuall installing into /var/tmp/lib and
/var/tmp/usr/lib.

Dave