discuss: DVD Playback HOWTO draft

Subject: Re: DVD Playback HOWTO draft
From: David Jao ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2004 05:07:56 -0000

> A Gentoo install  is easy, even if it takes a bit of time:
>
> USE="dvd" emerge mplayer xine-ui xine-dvdnav ogle-gui

This seems easy enough. I'm mainly worried about all the different USE
flags. It seems there's one for everything: gnome, kde, sse, even xv.
Are these always handled correctly if you don't type them in?
(Disclaimer: Clearly I've never used gentoo before.)

> It would be good to list links to some more of the dependencies that
> mplayer, xine, and ogle use. I don't think most users of this howto
> really want to built it all from source anyway.

Hmm, okay, I'll see what I can track down out of the huge dependency
list.

> > Do I even need to discuss gentoo given that most gentoo users are
> > already power users?
>
> I don't know that I'd go that far. Gentoo probably has more internaly
> produced documentation than most distros around--the install guide is
> very detailed and long.

I agree that the gentoo docs are excellent -- I made my observation
based on the fact that every single gentoo user that I know is a "power
user."

> PS: That is one nice howto; about the only thing I could think of was
> the use of some paths in dev; both Mandrake and Gentoo use Devfs and the
> paths to the dvd drive isn't ever going to be /dev/hdX unless the
> defaults are changed in /etc/devfsd.conf.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even notice devfs much on my
mandrake install. In fact Mandrake is the only distro I've used that
sets up the /dev/dvd symlink for you as well as ATAPI DMA, so I never
had to fuss with the /dev paths.

-David