discuss: Revision History, Revisited (Again)

Subject: Re: Revision History, Revisited (Again)
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jan 2004 03:33:44 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:24:06PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
>
>>For those who are uncomfortable with the space consumption, keeping at
>>least one or two of the most recent rev entries at the top and storing
>>the rest in an appendix, like you suggest above, is probably the
>>cleanest way of handling it.
>

> The cleanest way of handling it is to fix the DSSSL so that only a
> specific number of revision history items are displayed. It is very
> important to remember that DocBook is structural. Anything to do with
> presentation should be done by the transformation tools! You should not be
> altering the DocBook of a document to get the visual markup you want.
>
> You should be able to add a DSSSL instruction to the actual DocBook which
> would flag the transformation too to show only "5" (or whatever) items
> from the revision section. If we have a DSSSL person around they should
> be able to answer this for us.
>
> emma

I am not a DSSSL person, but I play one on TV.  :^)  All kidding aside,
I know a little about XSL and there are many similarities with the
Docbook DSSSL stylesheets.  With Docbook XSL customizations can be done
by setting certain parameters.  These customizable options are listed in
the file param.xsl (and param.dsl for DSSSL.)  After looking through the
param file I could find no mention of revhistory, so I am assuming it is
not an easy task to customize the number of revisions displayed.

Personally, I think commenting out certain <revhistory> entries in the
Docbook source would be an easy way to minimize the number of displayed
revisions while still retaining complete revision history for those
willing to dig a little for it.

Dave