discuss: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place

Subject: Re: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place
From: Colin Watson ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2004 11:54:24 -0000

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:01:36PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Guylhem Aznar ####@####.####
> > Take some old interesting document with an uncommon license, banning
> > the document from Debian for ex. - this is a problem since it can't be
> > updated and removing it won't be easy if most people like it.
>
> Is this likely?
>
> I was, back around 2001, denied by psychologist Stanley Milgram's widow
> the right to publish on my Web site one of Dr. Milgram's long
> out-of-print articles.  I'm dealing with that obstacle by paraphrasing
> it -- something much easier to do with writings (of low to moderate
> length) than with software.
>
> To use your example, Debian does not presently even bar documentation
> under the proprietary GFDL licence, although it might do so in the
> future.  I doubt that LDP currently has any documents whose licences
> prohibt inclusion in Debian GNU/Linux, and suspect it's unlikely to
> accept any.

There is one such: the Kiosk-HOWTO is currently undistributable by us
(it says "All rights reserved", then "use at your own risk", but nothing
about distributability), so we don't.

I suspect Guylhem actually meant "Debian main", though, and in that case
there are sadly quite a number of documents falling outside this
category, even without considering the GFDL.

--
Colin Watson                                  ####@####.####