discuss: "where did it go?"

Subject: Re: "where did it go?"
From: Kian Spongsveen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jan 2004 20:31:12 -0000

On Monday 19 January 2004 18:14, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I'd like to propose a new page on the LDP web site. This page would hold
> the names of the LDP documents which were dropped because of (better)
> documentation elsewhere. The two that come to mind immediately are:
>
> 	Acer-Laptop-HOWTO, Linux Installation on an Acer LapTop HOWTO
> 	* document removed, please visit www.linux-laptop.net
>
> 	PHP HOWTO
> 	* document removed, please visit www.php.net/docs.php
>
> I'm not sure if other documents exist which fall into this category, but
> as we move through the list of (old) documents we may want to let readers
> know where they can get up-to-date documentation for the topic/HOWTO that
> was removed.
>
> Or maybe it shouldn't be a page, but rather a note on the page that used
> to hold the HOWTO?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> emma

I believe it is important to keep the actual docs, but it should start with a
paragraph stating that the LDP considers the data obsolete and of historical
interest only. Only if the license (or author, if available for comments)
does not allow this should the doc be removed entirely.

Many of the obsolete docs are referred to frequently by magazines, well-known
Linux gurus etc. Such as the kernel compilation doc that I see plenty of
people link to when asked about the 2.6 kernel. And did everybody read the
article "Controlling Devices with Relays" by Jason Ellison in Linux Journal,
January 2004? The author says:

"I wanted to write a program using GCC to control the relay but had little
experience in C programming, so I searched the Web for some well-documented
examples of C programs that made use of a serial port.

The first interesting program I found was upscheck.c from Harvey J. Stein's
UPS HOWTO. upscheck, itself a modified version of Miquel van Smoorenburg's
powerd.c, makes use of both the RTS signal and the DTR signal. The program
originally was used to diagnose or examine UPS communications with a PC over
a serial port."

This is the "outdated" UPS HOWTO if I am not mistaken, and it provided useful
information still. And, as has been said before; not everybody in the world
have 3GHz PCs on broadband connections. They need info for their antiquated
setups.

 - Kian Spongsveen