discuss: proposal: text- and file-processing howto

Subject: RE: proposal: text- and file-processing howto
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2004 07:53:56 -0000

Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm assembling a "Text- and File-Processing/Finding Things Howto". A
> sort of cookbook approach to using sed, awk, bash, Perl, find, grep,
> etc. Real-life actual useful code, like this:
>
> |awk '{t+=$1}END{print t}'
> Prints the total of numbers in column 1.  Useful for things like the
> output of du(1).

[snip]

Carla,

I think I quite like this idea. There would be a lot of people who would
benifit from the existance of such "recipe" style document.

But I was also wondering, if a HOWTO would be a right thing in this case

There is this project called Linux One Stanza Tips. They collect small
tips, "tricks" and recipes and number them. They are typically for use
in email signatures, fortune files etc. The lost project is hosted at
http://lost.sf.net/ and there is also a spanish translation of the same

Typical LOSTs (Linux One Stanza Tips) would be something like this ...

http://lost.sf.net/LOST/en/025.lost (dos 2 unix file conversion)
http://lost.sf.net/LOST/en/418.lost (case change of filename extension)
http://lost.sf.net/LOST/en/419.lost (using eval and sed together)

There are close to 550 tips in the project and adding more would be of
real help there. (Note that at the bottom of each tip, the contributors
email/name are mentioned).

So I was thinking, if a TLDP HOWTO would be the right thing in this case
I see Saqib and Rodolfo are quite excited about this and I would like to
hear what your views are on this.

Just my Rs/- 0.02.

	Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag                http://www.pratapgarh.com/appaji

Not that long disease, my life, but that long convalescence, my life.
The liberal-bourgeois revision, the illusion of improvement, the poison
of hope - Herzog

Any views expressed in this email or attachments by
an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics
India (Private) Limited.