discuss: BASH programming

Subject: Re: BASH programming
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:05:57 -0000

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 13:15, Ruth A. Kramer wrote:
> rahulsundaram wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy Heilman wrote:
> > >I'd like to propose to y'all that I be allowed to assume authorship
> > >responsibilities of the BASH Programming-Introduction HOWTO.
> > >
> > >I tried email the current listed author - Mike G ####@####.####
> > >- and got a non-existant email address bounce in reply.  I'm guessing
> > >that the document has lapsed into unmaintained status.
>
> > You will have to present the new updated document to the list for more
> > feedback regarding this. I believe it would get accepted if its better
> > than the current one.
>
> That seems to be a little misleading.  I don't believe that the first
> step is presenting his new updated document for more feedback, I believe
> one of the first steps is establishing that the document is indeed
> "officially" unmaintained.
>
> You are right (IIUC) that sometime downstream the revised document does
> come up for review, but, as I understand it, that review is not a pass /
> fail thing, but more of a (possibly iterative) attempt to improve the
> document (if necessary) to meet the "standards" of the LDP.
>
> Can someone confirm this understanding, or revise it appropriately?

You've got that about right, Randy.  We would want to make sure it's an
unmaintained document and search for the author before any other steps
are taken.  Depending on the type of license used, someone may be able
to update it, or a replacement provided if that's not possible.

A replacement is usually brought to the attention of the discussion list
though, because it may still be comparable to something we already have,
or valuable feedback that may have been overlooked on previous attempts
for commentary could be obtained.

So in a nutshell, yes, it would be presented essentially to make sure it
was still a viable topic, and improved upon, if possible, before going
into the collection, not necessarily for "acceptance," unless there was
overwhelming feedback against it.

These things need to be "discussed!"

Tab

--