discuss: RPM Transactional Rollback Howto...

Subject: RPM Transactional Rollback Howto...
From: James Olin Oden ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2004 02:07:05 -0000

Hi All,

I am interested in writting a Howto on RPM's Transactional Rollback
feature.  In short this feature allows you to rollback your system to
particular point in time (in other words it provides "undo" functionality
for RPM).  The feature is unfortunately (like many things with RPM) is
mostly undocumented, and beyond that its not the sort of feature you would
want use without understanding how it works.  Also, there is a bit of
setup in order to use it effectively.

Over the past year I have become quite aquianted with the feature as I
have been implenting upgrades for our systems at work that can be
backed out either after a "successfull" install or automatically if one
of the rpms in an rpm transaction fail to install properly.  Some of this,
has required me to actually patch RPM, so I have gained an understanding
of the feature from both an SA's standpoint and from a developers stand
point.  Anyway, I have really found the feature usefull and would like
to document it so that others might be able to more easily use it and
perhaps learn from my travels.

Does this sound like something that would fit into the context of LDP?

Cheers...James Oden

P.S.  I have been reading the HowTo on writing a HowTo, and already have
the xml templates and stuff.