discuss: Revision history at end of document

Subject: Re: Revision history at end of document
From: Miroslav Skoric ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2004 23:34:51 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

>I would repeat my argument that the revision history should be kept
>hidden in the source to save bandwidth.  Except that recent revisions
>need to be at the start and not hidden.  For example one can put at
>subsection near the start called: "New in Recent Versions".

What is the real purpose of the revision history? Wouldn't be enough to
just take care of a version of the document, say: v1.23 (where 1 stands
for the order of the maintainers, in this case it is the first
author/maintainer, and 23 may be a version/revision of that particular
author). I myself use that method of designating versions of documents I
write/maintain:

  FBB Packet-radio BBS mini-HOWTO
  Miroslav "Misko" Skoric, YT7MPB, skoric at eunet dot yu
  v1.29, 2004-01-11

  * updated
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/FBB.html

  LILO mini-HOWTO
  Miroslav "Misko" Skoric, skoric at eunet dot yu
  v3.18, 2004-01-11

  * updated
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html

  Linux+WindowsNT mini-HOWTO
  Miroslav "Misko" Skoric, skoric at eunet dot yu
  v2.18, 2004-01-11

  * updated
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT.html

BTW, within the sections and subsections, whenever I add a new part of text - I start it with a date in the format YYYY-MM-DD. It is simple.

Regards,

Misko