discuss: BASH programming

Subject: BASH programming
From: Jeremy Heilman ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2004 22:30:52 -0000

Dear TLDP Discuss-ers,

I'd like to propose to y'all that I be allowed to assume authorship
responsibilities of the BASH Programming-Introduction HOWTO.  The
current HOWTO was last revised in 2000, and while BASH commands haven't
changed all that much (certainly not on the introductory command level),
I have encountered additional useful information, both in reading other
sources and trying things myself, whose addition would make a more
comprehensive resource.  I had considered creating a document of my own,
but given the wide spread popularity (and want for updating) of the Bash
HOWTO, I believe a new revision would be more beneficial to the Linux
community..

I tried email the current listed author - Mike G ####@####.####
- and got a non-existant email address bounce in reply.  I'm guessing
that the document has lapsed into unmaintained status.  A google search
revealed a million references to the HOWTO itself, but none of the
author's current whereabouts.  In lieu of talking to the author it
seemed like the next logical step would be to contact the TLDP community
for their input.

I propose the inclusion of more down-to-earth explanations of many of
the structures, as I assume the audience will have some programming
knowledge and is interested more in how to turn abstract programming
ideas into real Bash scripts.  I would do some restructuring of the
current document, mostly shuffling of information here-and-there to put
it in better context.  I think including a chapter that points out which
functions are intrinsic to Bash and which are actually external programs
would be helpful in making things more platform independent.  I'd also
like to include more general syntax of common structures prior to the
examples already contained.  The doc could benefit from taking advantage
of some of DocBook's shading, layout, and typesetting features as well.
I have tons of other, ancillary ideas, but I'll save those for later!

I'd enjoy hearing any feedback any of you might have.

Regards,
-Jeremy Heilman
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, Ohio, USA