discuss: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place

Subject: Re: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place
From: Miroslav Skoric ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2004 13:17:10 -0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> I have to agree with Rick and Martin here. Legally speaking, what
> sounds most defensible to me is that someone read the license text at
> a particular URL, liked it, and pointed to /that/ license text via a
> URL. Changing that text seems to me equivalent to relicensing the
> document without the author's permission. I cannot see any possible
> support for the position that the license is alterable at any given
> time and that the terms under which each document is issued change
> with it.

A year ago (or like) there was a suggestion here to let the (rather
busy) authors to change the licence/copyright text. In fact, I agreed
with somebody suggested to do (for me) because I had lots of other
things to do. Later I recognized that a pointer/link was added to a
copyright text I almost never checked to see what it was about.

What I should not accept is that change was adopted, maybe to make some
free space for somebody here to make (more) money or whatever else
benefits, from the documents we volunteer to make and/or maintain.

That's why I suggest to rearange the copyright/license form(s) and in
case an author accept it - then to be *added* to the document as a fixed
part of the text.

Regards,

Misko