discuss: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place

Subject: Re: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2004 04:43:36 -0000

At 17:10 1/9/2004, Martin WHEELER wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
>
> >  If authors gave a link, that means they trusted us to fix the
> > license when it would have to evolve.
>
>No way.

I have to agree with Rick and Martin here. Legally speaking, what sounds
most defensible to me is that someone read the license text at a particular
URL, liked it, and pointed to /that/ license text via a URL. Changing that
text seems to me equivalent to relicensing the document without the
author's permission. I cannot see any possible support for the position
that the license is alterable at any given time and that the terms under
which each document is issued change with it.

Mind you, if such a thing were made clear to me at the outset when I
published a document, I do not personally see it as a life-or-death
objection; I could live with it. However, it was /not/ so clarified for
those authors who linked to it, and they have /not/ made the choice to
allow that, and they most certainly /can/ make the argument that you are
moving the rug out from under them... and screw you, hard. IMHO, Guylhem's
opinion is quite simply wrong, and legally indefensible.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz