discuss: Who is checking us out

Subject: Re: Who is checking us out
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2001 22:17:48 -0000

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:21:14PM -0500, Joy E Yokley wrote:
> Does anyone have stats on any of the following for the LDP site
> * how many hits the site gets

Hits, page views, or unique visitors? I think somebody said last month
we served 6 million page views per month. That's from our main site,
not all 500 official mirrors much less the unofficial ones. We don't
know how many total hits or visits we get. It sure would be
interesting to find out, but that would require polling all of our
mirrors.

Hmmmm. That might just be interesting enough to do. Anybody want to
put together a mailing list and I'll send out an email? :-)

> * where are the hits coming from
> * approx. how many mirrors are out there

If you're interested, the folks at Google did a research paper on
"finding replicated web collections" using the LDP as a research
platform. There's a link to it on my home page. Very interesting
reading, but the numbers are outdated now.

We were iirc the second most mirrored collection on the entire net.

We have somewhere >1000 mirrors, but only about 500 (?) official ones.

> * how many distros (and which ones) pull from our site

All of the major distros do. Almost all general purpose distros. Only
some of the special purpose ones (on a floppy, for instance) don't.

> * are we the primary supplier of documentation chunks for distros?

Oh yeah. We are publishing about 2 new documents every week lately,
with about 450 total atm. And remember that about 10-12 of those are
full sized technical books, which are available in print (at about
400-500 pages each).

> * any other facts/estimates that support the LDP as a major contributor to
> documentation within Linux

Look at the open directory project dmoz.org and you will see we are
awarded the 'cool' award for linux documentation. Only one site gets
that designation in each category.

We are an international effort, with I think 26 translation projects.
I wrote about it recently in ldpwn but don't remember and am about to
run out the door to dinner. Sorry, look it up. :-)

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

You will have a head crash on your private pack.