discuss: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place

Subject: Re: LDP Licence at http://tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html, and changing in-place
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 20 Dec 2003 13:37:40 -0000

Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####

[...]

> Well, there is what seems to be an older license but it has no version
> number on it.  I think that prior to version 2.0 there were version
> numbers so this is an older one.  It may have co-existed with the
> versioned series.  Copies of it are still on the Internet and at LDP.
> Perhaps it's 1.0.  Note that it is also the license for a certain guide,
> which is confusing.
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/LDP-COPYRIGHT

I think we're in luck.  After experimenting with the Wayback Machine
(Internet Archive) search facility, I've found what I think/hope is the
whole picture:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/COPYRIGHT.html

Retrieving all of those snapshots and diff'ing them shows that there
have really been only two versions, the original, un-versioned one (same
as at your iBiblio URL), and v2.0.

Technically, I checked Internet Archive's mirrored copies only through
2000, because when I got to 2001, their servers started flaking out on
me (which happens).  However we were already showing a basically
unchanging v2.0 licence in 2000 -- and that's the current version number
today -- so it seems reasonable to assume that nobody's made substantive
changes without incrementing version numbers.

The "1.0" version bears Matt Welsh's name for the author credit.  2.0
lists Guylhem Aznar, whose displayed e-mail address changes as of the
2000-10-22 mirror copy from ####@####.#### to ####@####.####
-- which is also what the current (late 2003) page says.  I diffed all
the versions I could retrieve, and found no other changes.

I've posted them both to my PerlHoo documentation tree's Licensing_and_Law
category, http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Licensing_and_Law .

Suggestion:  Replace http://en.tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html with a simple
page showing two links:

o  Linux Documentation Project License (LDPL) v2.0, adopted 12 January
   1998.  LDP recommends this license as a default choice for documentation.
   hyperlink to:  http://en.tldp.org/LDPL/2.0/COPYRIGHT.html

o  Linux Documentation Project License (LDPL) v1.0, adopted 6 January
   1997.  This is an older license by Matt Welsh, used by some early
   HOWTOs and FAQs.
   hyperlink to:  http://en.tldp.org/LDPL/1.0/COPYRIGHT.html

(You're welcome to grab a copy of 1.0 from my PerlHoo tree.)  This would
have the benefit of straightening out the ambiguity I mentioned earlier,
clarify the historical record, and leave an obvious spot for future
versions to go.

--
Cheers,        "A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line, today.  The results
Rick Moen       blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."