discuss: status of document

Subject: Re: status of document
From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2003 00:06:43 -0000

For those following along on the discuss list;  David kindly forwarded
my email that listed some unmaintained HOWTOs to the staff list.  The
remainder of this post was intended for the staff list, except I can't
post there.

Sorry, this is a lot of information.  Hopefully, it is helpful to have
it mostly in just two emails, David's post and this reply.  Also, I've
tried to keep it short, your comments and requests for more information
are welcome.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:59:14PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> I'm Ccing this to the staff list with my comments.  Thanks to Doug for
> preparing this list.

David,
Your ISP has marked my ISP as spam friendly.  Looks like I may need to
go ISP shopping.  As a result, this response is being sent to "staff" only.

To ####@####.####

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:59:14PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> Did the HOWTOS in unmaintained that were still being sent to the mirror
> sites ever get deleted from the mirrors?  And I guess that means also
> removed from various other places at the main LDP site except for
> unmaintained and CVS.

This is the list of HOWTOs that are still being distributed, and also
listed as unmaintained.  This is based on a Debian package update
provided by Frank Lichtenheld on Dec. 14, 2003.

Alpha-HOWTO - Last update 1997
Ftape-FAQ - Last update 1998
Hebrew-HOWTO - Last update 1995
LBX - Last update 1997
Netscape+Proxy - Last update 1997
NFS-Root - Last update 2002 (has "not maintained" below title in doc)
Qmail+MH - Last update 1998
Soundblaster-AWE - Last update 1998
UMSDOS-HOWTO - Last update 2001
Visual-Bell - Last update 2001
Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO - Last update 2001

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:56:44AM -0700, doug jensen wrote:
> Laptop-HOWTO last update 2003Feb27, bug #201102 Author states
[ update ]
Based on LDP news, the Linux-Mobile-Guide is now included in the
Guides section of LDP.

Additionally, the following HOWTOs have received unfavorable comments
recently, on the discuss list.

Shadow-Password-HOWTO Updated: Apr 1996 Michael H. Jackson
 See David Horton post in the Re: Last update pre-1997 [was: reviewing
 all the howtos] thread.

Spanish-HOWTO Updated: Aug 1996 Gonzalo Garc\355a-Agull\363
 See Rodolfo J. Paiz post in the same thread as above.

> From David Horton (see, Some quick technical reviews of old HOWTO's):
 Linux Kernel Modules Installation HOWTO
 * Most modern distros use kernel modules by default.
 * Using /sbin/kerneld is not required in modern kernels (2.2 and up I
   think.)

 WordPerfect Mini-howto
 * The versions of WP are far out of date.
 * Links for getting WP are not working.
 * It seams Corel is no longer supporting Linux.  linux.corel.com
   returns "invalid URL".  Searching Corel's site reveals no Linux info.

 Glibc 2 HOWTO
 * The version of glibc used in the HOWTO is 2.0.  GNU is up to 2.3
   currently.
 * Links to source and pre-compiled versions are broken.
 * I do not believe that libcrypt is still subject to export
 * restrictions and distributed separately.  At least it has not been
   separate since glibc-2.1 as far as I can tell.
 * The Linux From Scratch guide has more up-to-date info on compiling
 * glibc.

 RPM+Slackware Mini-Howto
 * Modern Slackware releases include the rpm tool.
 * In section 2, the link to the software is broken.
 * Also in section 2, the software version is far behind.

 If I should be sending this information to a particular person or
 coordinator rather than to the discuss list, please let me know.

 Dave

 Why segregate the unmaintained HOWTOs (short version):
 First, I don't like it, because it could make it harder for someone to
 find a tidbit of information, that helps them solve a problem.  Second,
 I like it to save someone from thinking, they've found a problem
 solution, but they've created a worst problem by following outdated or
 incorrect instructions.  I think the second group are newer users, who
 are in need of more help.

 It would be good to report the results of this effort to the discuss
 list, so they might stay interested in doing reviews.  Thanks for reading.

 --
 Doug Jensen