discuss: Free/Non-free docs (was Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP)

Subject: Free/Non-free docs (was Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP)
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2003 03:29:45 -0000

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 14:48, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Right, if you are talking about the GNU Documentation Project
> that we got a link to some time ago, well that is their business.
> This is TLDP: I know of no policy here that forbids discussing
> non-free software.

Maybe Guylhem would like to resurrect the GNU Writing Movement?
Although again, I don't think even that was meant to actually exclude
documentation of proprietary products.  When these products can
integrate with Linux, it's not helping the manufacturer when volunteers
write the docs, it's helping the community--the sys admins and other
Linux folks out there trying to do their jobs.  In a nutshell, it's what
makes Linux so much better than some of the alternatives.

> > In general, the companies that sell the software should also document
> > it.  Volunteers shouldn't be doing it.  Why wouldn't a volunteer prefer
> > to document free software instead?

> Again: some people in companies that ported to Linux did this as
> skunk works. When management thawed to the idea of Linux, free
> and open software these people could have the port ready almost
> same day. Documentation is frequently taking last place when it
> comes to setting priorities, someone writing a HOWTO thus helped
> everyone and also showed management the fast dynamics of the
> non-commercial world.

Agreed.

> > The LDP should not become an organization that companies utilize for
> > their own personal gain by coopting LDP to distribute their documentation
> > for free and thus promote their non-free software.

> That would cut one avenue of sponsoring.

Though a good point was brought up by David Lawyer (I believe) - if the
documentation provided by a vendor DOES cover the subject thoroughly, it
does put into question the need for similar coverage at LDP.  If there
is something related in the LDP docs, it should ideally cover something
not discussed in enough detail in the vendor's own documentation.

> And if Bill gates were to write a HOWTO on using MSSQL with
> Linux and the HOWTO were accurate and language were correct
> then I say we should accept it and let it stand as a challenge
> to others to write something better that was more useful
> showing free alternatives is better. If we believe this, as I
> do, we should not fear the commercial world.

That depends.  Does MS SQL work in conjunction at all with Linux?  :D

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com