discuss: a right to a new maintainer(Was Re: licenses)

Subject: Re: a right to a new maintainer(Was Re: licenses)
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2003 02:50:35 -0000

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 00:11, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> Maybe we could bring back license dicussions while we're at fixing TLDP?
>
> Since we can not decide to use a common license, what about requiring authors to
> automatically grant the right to TLDP to appoint a new maintainer for their
> documents when they can no longer be reached, for say 3 months?

What if we went with "no longer reachable upon review" instead?  We may
not be checking the documents very regularly, but this would be very
noticeable during a review.  Give or take a little, depending on the
type of document, that's roughly once a year.  (Ideally the document
would be flagged by the system to initiate the process.)

I do agree, it's not a good idea to leave an unmaintained document in
limbo for very long.  It also gives someone else a chance to cover a
topic they might know well.

> If possible, we could complete that by a right to choose a new license
> considered free by both the FSF, Debian and the OSC [a safeguard provision if
> the GFDL negociations fail and if we have any problem with future licenses]

I think OPL and Creative Commons are very good alternatives also.  Is
there an official FSF position on the wording of these two?  I'd be
interested in finding out.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall