discuss: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP

Subject: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2003 02:16:33 -0000

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 07:16, rahul wrote:
> > It _is_ personally important to me; I believe that LDP is about
> > Documenting things in any way related to Linux. Oracle, StarOffice,
> > and other proprietary software that costs money are either things that
> > enable people to move to Linux, or in some cases are /the reason/
> > people move to Linux. Consider them advocacy. I personally am strongly
> > against putting them in a "non-Free" section, like second-class citizens.
>
> Segregation is not discrimination. Merging doesnt mean that the document
> does not have independant value. You are assuming things

I don't think it's necessary to put these types of documents into a
separate section.  Documents really should be sorted by the current
category list we employ, with the exception of Guides and FAQs.

I feel this way because I'm considering the user experience.  If I went
looking for a document on dual booting Linux with Windows, I'd expect to
find such a thing in the OS section.  For applications, I'd be most
inclined to look in the correct software category based on the type of
program it is (for example, Oracle & Red Hat 9 under Database
Applications).

If the items are separated between free and non-free, that causes the
user to look in two different places; if it's not listed in the
"non-free" chances are they're going to take a stab at looking in the
main list, just to make sure.  So it seems reasonable to keep them
grouped by the categories we already use.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com