discuss: Wordperfect and other proprietary stuff

Subject: Wordperfect and other proprietary stuff
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2003 13:16:53 -0000

Martin WHEELER wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, rahul wrote:
>

>>How many people would choose wordperfect on linux now?. Thats the
>>relevant question.
>>

>Err ... my wife, actually.
>She has a couple of decades (almost) of legacy lit. in WP; only in the
>last month has she started to look at OOo.  (And then, only
>desultorily.)

Havent seen you in the list for sometime :-)

Ok. You are speaking from personal experience here. I dont believe that
this is the case for majority people. You can try installing the latest
version of oo.org or Abiword and see if it works better for her. I am
pretty sure it will be better *technically* .

>Writers who mainly produce single-sheet flyers etc. aren't going to care
>too much about changing major apps; those who produce 400-page indexed
>and annotated volumes are going to think a lot more carefully before
>shifting.
>
>As for me, I still run 'em all.  (Still playing with Wordstar stuff, at
>times.)

Yes. There exists wordstar clones for linux for precisely such needs.
Wordstar and Wordperfect are really old apps which will be only used by
people who started with it.

My argument is that LDP volunteers should prefer documenting free
software. Proprietary software should be supported by the company which
develops that particular software and they generally do a good job. For
example the staroffice documentation is better than the staroffice howto.

Regards
Rahul Sundaram