discuss: Re: GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary comments

Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary comments
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2003 08:50:24 -0000

Hi,
> > (quoting David Lawyer)
>A major problem is that of scope.  A major consideration is that what
>you cover is already covered in many other documents: in man pages, in
>info pages, in howtos on the Bash shell, in System Admin guides
>(including Debian's) and in most HOWTOs.  In Linux, one first learns the
>basic commands.  Then if one decides to say, set up a network, they go to
>documentation about networks and learn more commands there concerning
>networks.  It's like this for other tasks too.  Just taking a small
>subset of commands (some elementary, some advanced) and writing about
>them doesn't make a very useful HOWTO.
Actually it helps you have a reference to the CLI.
It saves you going through thousand-page books to find out what commands you
need to look for or use.
Plus many useful commands are not listed in guides or howtos.

As for man/info pages, who wants to go through hundreds of man/info pages to
find out what each tool does? Why not use a summary to find out and then
read further if you are interested (thats the idea behind the GNU/Linux
Command-line Tools Summary!)

>So what I suggest is that you just cover basic commands (and
>change the name to reflect that).  Check first to see if there is
>already free documentation on this topic.  Then you might mention some
>more advanced commands but refer to other documentation on how to use
>them.  This would be intended to be read by a newbie or by someone who
>wants to review the basic commands.  You might look at print books on
>Linux and see what commands they consider to be the most important.
>However, referencing an out-of-date HOWTO isn't a good idea, so you need
>to evaluate what you reference.
Yes, I need to check the references I have used.
I don't agree with any of your suggestions.

>Unfortunately, I don't think we have a satisfactory backup howto.  So
>you need to reference various man pages and provide an annotated list
>of the various backup programs.  Quite a job.
Well see.
I'll probably leave my description of basic backup commands as is. If
someone can think of a better name then please tell me, I just want to
describe tar and compression utilities I don't need to write a full
backup-howto.

Regards,
Gareth

ninemsn Premium transforms your e-mail with colours, photos and animated
text. Click here  http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp