discuss: Review of GNU/Linux Tools Summary

Subject: Re: Review of GNU/Linux Tools Summary
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2003 04:39:45 -0000

doug jensen ####@####.#### schrieb:

>On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 05:18:11PM +0000, Chris Karakas wrote:
>> And: even with a "permanent redirect" in place, I don't think that the new
>> page will inherit the "importance" of the old one for the search engines
>> (i.e. in terms of ranking). Maybe, maybe not. Why go into the trouble? Just
>> leave those labels untouched, till we find a better solution. Cool labels
>> don't change - basta.
>
>If there were no other considerations involved and you had to make a choice
>between the ranking of your website and the quality of a document, which
>would you choose?

Unfortunately, I see that, even after three  very detailed posts of mine, I am still
getting misunderstood here. :-(

Of course I choose quality. What question is this? Do you really think we are
debating quality vs. ranking? Do you think I am telling you "do a trick"?

I am telling you "keep that label in place". The *label*. The *filename*. What does
a *label* have to do with *quality*? Please!

Is it so important to the quality of your document that you DON'T  keep that SGML
section id (because that's a *label*) for the rest of your document's life?

So important? For the *quality* of your content? Not the content itself, not the
organization of the content, not even the title is so important as that label you
put there as a section id to use in cross-references?

Then throw it away. What else can I say...

But don't wonder why nobody finds your document any more, or why you are getting 1
visitor now, with the "reorganized", better quality content, while you were getting
100 with that first draft  previously...

All I am saying is that you can continue to get your 100 visitors  from the search
engines, if you pay attention not to change the *existing* SGML *labels*, the
filenames you already had there before the reorganization. Put whatever you like in
those files, as long as it is somehow relevant to their filename (I am sure you can
achieve that) but leave their names untouched - they are the targets of links that
play an important role in the SE ranking. Why throw away those links? You will never
get them back again. You start from scratch. Why? For which quality? What quality is
in a filename?

I hope, now that I am talking about "filenames", you will get my point. It's a
label. A symbolic id in SGML. Its use is to give chapters, sections etc. a name, a
"handle". That's all. It's not the title, the title is a different thing.

You chose  label A for section 1. Stick to it. Move section 1 around, make it
bigger, smaller, whatever (O.K., don't change its subject radically, that would be
cheating against the people who already linked to it, thinking it talked about, say,
network commands), change its title, if you really must, but keep that damn label A
attached to it all the time!

It's not quality vs. ranking. It pure common sense: don't kill your document for the
sake of a label, a filename, a symbolic id.

Cool labels don't change. It looks like a shock, but it's not.

Think about it.

Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de