discuss: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP

Subject: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 2003 22:54:02 -0000

rahul wrote:

> Hi
>

>> Does anyone have the time to write a couple of paragraphs on how LDP
>> is really structured internally? Alternately, is there a history of

There is a web page that lists and describes some of us on
the staff list, who we are, what we do.

I for one try to profile us with distribution makers and others,
did a bit on the anniversary document just to give one example.
Additionally I do a bit of prototyping, ref. the HOWTO Generator.
Do note that the staff list is not an inner, secret brotherhood,
just a forum for discussions to keep volume on this discuss list
down, as per request of some regulars here some time ago.

Nothing is finally decided on the staff list. After grinding
off the rough edges an issue is presented to this list for
final comments. One such example is my recently announced
HOWTO Genrator: it was discussed on the staff list, iterated
a few times, then presented here and, importantly, it is still
open for discussion. The process just saved bandwidth here.

Also the mailing lists are openly available to everyone. Indeed
the mailing lists is our documented history.

>> the LDP somewhere that I can read? It strikes me as amazing (in a good
>> way, but still amazing) that an organization like this survived for 10
>> years with "no formal organization." BTW, I'm sure that I'm taking

Tact and diplomacy and hard work tends to work. There has
been very few cases of outbursts.

>> that comment too literally, but still I would like to understand
>> better how things are supposed to work around here.

It works mostly well though it can at times work rather
slowly such as the case with Al Dev's documents. TLDP is a
big project but also little profiled so we have not attracted
the big egos which in turn tend to make life difficult.

>> Thanks!

> Its remarkable but not suprising. Try reading through LKML. It always
> makes me wonder how the developers actually managed to do something
> productive in there. The number of offtopic discussions and seemingly

Fora that apears to meander all over the place also tend,
in my experience, to be the ones where you find the most
stimulating company and the most food for thought.

> random processes is really huge. I did ask for a LDP overall view with
> history when I started writing the LDP FAQ. I couldnt manage to get it
> done. It would be nice to know who is in charge of what.

In adition to the sugestions in the other reply I would also
suggest browsing the archives for details. It will also show
that there is no single person, nor a brotherhood, in charge
of things, it is the community that does take us forward.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen