discuss: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP

Subject: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 2003 22:53:58 -0000

rahul wrote:

> Hi
>
>> I disagree here too.  If the rest of the LDP agreed, we'd be getting rid
>> of a LOT of HOWTOs.  Let's see...

[big snip]

>> WordPerfect mini-HOWTO
>
> Pretty outdated.

It might very well be old but software is still usable even so.
It is not that many years ago when I used a CP/M machine. Also,
keep in mind that the WordPerfect company was one of the first
commercial companies to support Linux with their software,
something I feel they should have, and keep, credit for.

[more snipping]

> Could be moved to some kind of non free section?

The documents are less than optimally organised, adding further
dictinctions such as free/non-free will just add to the
confusion. Nowhere in our manifestos does it say we should do
so either. Let us not add to the complesity until it is shown
to be necessary.

[snip]

> Debian model is a good one. Seperate documents discussing free software
> from those which discuss proprietary software. Have a introductory
> section explaining the differences and let the user choose.

I am not convinced.

If the documents do not mention the programs are commercial they
should, if only to prevent accidental piracy. Otherwise I will
assume that our readers have the necessary intelligence to make
their own choices amongst the alternatives.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen