discuss: wanted: a really good case for LinuxDoc

Subject: Re: wanted: a really good case for LinuxDoc
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 13 Dec 2003 12:55:01 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> Ok, I think I must have been unclear in my first email.
>
> Please send me the URL of a document that authors can read which explains
> why LinuxDoc is a good/easy/etc alternative to DocBook. I already know
> about David's document, I'm looking for something else.

Ob.URL:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/The_LDP_HOWTO_Generator.html

It should make it very esy and very simle to get started very quickly
writing a HOWTO using LinuxDoc SGML.

To test this I used the tool myself thus also validating the
whole tool chain.

Bonus URLs:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/HowtoGenTest.sgml
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/HowtoGenTest.html

> Please note: I will ignore all emails that do not include a URL. This is

Having provided 3 URLs I presume I won, at least qualified.

> not about /should we/ do something--the LinuxDoc markup language is
> currently accepted by the LDP as one of the (many) acceptable formats for
> submitting documents. I'm not interested in the arguments for or against.
> This isn't about LinuxDoc, per se, it's about me trying to get the Author
> Guide finished.

Note that since LinuxDoc SGML can be converted to DocBook
it would seem the stylistic arguments are void.

Finally a number of semantic web arguments have been put forward
to somehow prove the superiorness of DocBook. Metadate, we hear,
should allegedly make us a better future. My arguments against
are as follows:
  - we do not appear to move measurable towards this future
  - we have no current use for these extra futures
  - I have already shown that the tags in LinuxDoc SGML
   can be used to create NetHelp documents that offer real
   advantages here and today.

The NetHelp approach offers
  - better overview of document
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/nethelp-c.html
  - better keyword facility
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/nethelp-i.html
  - document interlinking (ref. header in both URLs above)
  - and I do have a working prototype
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/home.html

Conclusion: LinuxDoc SGML offers all we need and allows further
advances as is. It is easy to start with and it is easy to
continue with. The tool chain is simple and it is mature.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen