discuss: GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary needs either reviewing or acceptance

Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary needs either reviewing or acceptance
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Dec 2003 08:01:15 -0000

>nice document. Is it possible to include a index of all the commands, and
>link to their explanations. e.g.
>http://www.faqs.org/docs/docbook/html/part2.html
>
>Thanks.
>
>Saqib Ali

Thanks,
That would be a great idea, I've taken a look at how Chris said it was done.

"I've had a look at that link. It is Part 2 of the DocBook Guide by Norman
Walsh. The page you are referring to is actually a table of contents - the
table of contents of Part 2.

Now, it is certainly possible to do things this way: define a chapter as,
say, Part 2, then start writing sections, where each section has the title
of a Linux command and contains its description.

The "Reference" a.k.a. "Table of Contents" will be produced quasi as a
by-product of the document creation process.

But that's certainly not the way the GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary
HOWTO is
conceived. So I guess it will not be done."

That would obviously involve me completely restructuring the guide and I'm
not willing to do that.

The only way I can think of possibly doing it would be some kind of script
which would take the first sentence or two after each command
(description-style in LyX) and check whether that first keyword exists in
the index, or if it has an index tag next to it (if it doesn't then its not
a command).
Of course this wouldn't be exactly accurate and would need me to do some
work on the content but thats one way which you *might* be able to do it.

I think the ideas really cool though...

Regards,
Gareth