discuss: Copyright Infringement and "About the Author" sections

Subject: Re: Copyright Infringement and "About the Author" sections
From: Raymond ####@####.####
Date: 12 Dec 2003 20:01:14 -0000

Mark Komarinski wrote:

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:39:48PM +1100, Binh Nguyen wrote:

The other thing that I'm aware of is that my documents are being used at a number of academic institutions around the world as reference texts. Once again, I have no problem with this but one of them has not acknowledged the source of the work (they've created a database based entirely on the definitions from the 'Linux Dictionary'). This constitutes plagiarism, doesn't it? If it does could someone please tell me what should I do next?

E-mail them and ask to put the credit back.  I'll admit to doing similar many
years ago just because I wasn't thinking.  An e-mail from the wronged party
and I fixed it immediately (and learned my lesson).

-Mark

Make sure in your communications that you are clear about your intention to protect
your copyright--of course, said in a friendly and cooperative manner. Then be sure
to get email receipts for any communications that you make. In case you have to
go to any further legal steps at least you will have some kind of paper(electronic)
trail. It is also an idea to send a copy of your communications to a third party.
Let the offending party know that you are sending to the third party as well as them.
All of this may impress upon them the necessity to include the appropriate credits.

Raymond: Martin