discuss: status of document

Subject: Re: status of document
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 12 Dec 2003 07:10:11 -0000

doug jensen wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:46:46PM +0530, rahul wrote:
>

>>The documentation license usually allows the document to be updated
>>without the author's explicit permission. You can go ahead and submit
>>the revised document.
>>

>That would be a great way to close bugs, but I'm not sure I would be
>comfortable with changing someone elses document in that way.
>Has that ever been done before, without the doc being declared
>unmaintained first?   The document would be getting an updated date, but
>only one part would be updated.  Who is the maintainer at that point?
>It seem like there could be alot of issues involved.

You own the copyright to the specific portions you update which comes
under a free license you choose. You should specify that explicitly
within the document along with the other copyright notices. I am not
sure this has ever been done before.

>>If the documentation is not being maintained the process would be more
>>easier.Coordination should be beneficial.
>>

>By "not being maintained", do you mean already on TLDP unmaintained
>list?  Because we don't generally distribute those, TLDP doesn't put
>them in the tar balls (except the ones, on the list I sent about a week
>ago, as requested by Tabatha and David).
>
>How would we go about moving some of the documents with open bugs, to
>the unmaintained list on TLDP?

If the author has informed you that he/she is not interested in
maintaining the document, it can be conveyed to tabatha or david and
they can move the document to the unmaintained list.

>>I would like to know the number of bugs filed against each document if
>>thats easy to produce
>>

>It's about 39 bugs (less three or four that are Debian specific).
>Usually just one per document.  You can have a look at:
>   http://bugs.debian.org/doc-linux
>Keep in mind that the bug submitters can only put one specific problem
>in each report, so I think its more of an indication that the document
>should be updated IMO.  Would you still like a list anyway?
>Oh, by the way, the HOWTO names are shortened so that the descriptions
>aren't so long.
>
>--
>Doug Jensen

No, I dont require the list.. I will just take a look. Thanks

Rahul Sundaram