discuss: Reviewers wanted (was: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP)

Subject: Re: Reviewers wanted (was: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP)
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 11 Dec 2003 23:44:47 -0000

> URL for source files and/or output text? What kind of reviews are you
> looking for? (Peer, language, technical) etc.

http://www.tille.soti.org/training/ldap/

Machtelt Garrels wrote:
------------------------------
Dear all,

While looking for a new challenge lately, I was offered to do some LDAP
consultancy in a strange environment.  I wanted to give my client some
docs, but nothing appropriate for a one-day go-through was available.
So I wrote a custom document, which I now adapted for use with Linux.  I
want to submit it to the LDP if you like it.  Please take a look at the
draft at

http://www.tille.soti.org/training/ldap/

I would like to call it LDAP Operations HOWTO, because it assumes that you
have a running LDAP server - which you might or might not have set up
yourself - and because it is primarily aimed at people who need to get
started with basic LDAP operations, such as managing users and groups in
the LDAP tree, limiting access, checking server functions and
understanding the database.

Reasons for this proposal:

- - It's good stuff to know for managing any OpenLDAP-based directory
service;
- - It does not conflict with existing LDAP HOWTO and LDAP Implementation
HOWTO:
	-> more industry-approach of server operations;
	-> inclusion of commercial LDAP implementations while focussing on
	   standards defined in RFCs;
	-> aimed towards operators of LDAP-enabled services;
	-> self-study guide: with exercises, as usual.
- - In short, it should connect the existing LDAP HOWTOs rather than
compete
with them.

This document has not been reviewed yet, but should it be accepted, I am
optimistic to find a reviewer soon - it's only a HOWTO this time, when
printed out with pretty formatting and double-sided, it should fit on 10
pages ;-)

Please let me know what you think,

Tille.