discuss: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP

Subject: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Dec 2003 14:46:00 -0000

At 02:19 12/11/2003, rahul wrote:
>Staroffice has more features. Openoffice is bundled by default on many
>Linux distros. Its like IE on windows. There was no discrimination and
>even if there was some it was not based on cost though I could never pay
>that amount.

It's true that OO is bundled and will hopefully become very widely used,
and that SO costs money... so I agree with your points above. Why the heck
would any of this make it a good idea to remove the SO HOWTO? There is an
application (SO), people use it, someone wrote a HOWTO for it... if the
HOWTO is good, why oh why would you want to remove it?

>There are people involved with Linux who believe in this. David Lawyer If
>I remember correctly said that LDP documents shouldnt take about
>proprietary software. I am suggesting an alternative since the discussion
>is along these lines.  It might not be personally important to you or me.

It _is_ personally important to me; I believe that LDP is about Documenting
things in any way related to Linux. Oracle, StarOffice, and other
proprietary software that costs money are either things that enable people
to move to Linux, or in some cases are /the reason/ people move to Linux.
Consider them advocacy. I personally am strongly against putting them in a
"non-Free" section, like second-class citizens.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz