discuss: Announce: The LDP HOWTO Generator

Subject: Re: Announce: The LDP HOWTO Generator
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 11 Dec 2003 01:04:52 -0000

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:49:30PM +0100, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> After much testing and discussions I am now exuberant to
> announce that the LDP HOWTO Generator is now ready for use.
>
> It is a standalone web page with a number of fields to fill in
> and a few buttons. When ready the compile button starts the
> compilation of all the input fields and wraps it all in proper
> LinuxDoc SGML, ready to process with the LinuxDoc SGML tools.

While I appreciate the work you put into this, I don't think that it
helps all that much.  The outline is a "one size fits all" situation.
LinuxDoc is so simple that one can start with almost any existing HOWTO
source and modify it for their own HOWTO.  They can substitute their
name, date, etc. and then delete all or most of the original body and
write their own.  And they can do this all offline.

I only looked at it using lynx (no java script).  The keyword and one
line description are extra tasks that are not very important.  It turns
out that major search engines like google, don't bother with keywords.
So important words need to be in the text of the doc.  Of course, I like
the fact that you used LinuxDoc instead of DocBook :-).