discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Val Henson ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 19:18:57 -0000

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:50:17PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:

> [Please, hit a carriage return from time to time.  Thanks.]

You might consider delivering netiquette reminders privately.  That
would be more polite, which would encourage all sorts of people to
stay interested in Linux.  If this public chastisement embarrasses
you, then good, now you know how Jutta felt.

>   - http://www.nmt.edu/~val/howto/ar01s02.html:
>
>     "Women have fewer opportunities for friendship or mentoring":
>
>         "When the gender imbalance is as large as it is in computer
>         science, women find themselves with few or no other women to
>         share their interests with. While women have male friends and
>         mentors, it's often harder and more difficult for women to
>         find a community and then to fit in with it. Many women leave
>         the field who would have stayed if they had been male."
>
> Why is, for (some) women, a "community" made up only of other women?

Your interpretretation of "community" as something made up only of
women is not supported by the text.  I neither intended nor wrote
anything of the sort.

My conclusion is that you are reading the HOWTO with pre-formed
opinions about what it will say.  I do not want to defend things that
the HOWTO did not say, and I shall not attempt to do so.

-VAL