discuss: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP

Subject: Re: getting sponsorship and marketing LDP
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 04:55:55 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:10:46PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 06:44, Saqib Ali wrote:
>>

>>>Hello Rahul,
>>>
>>>I like the idea. Here is what I am thinking:
>>>
>>>Let us say if we have a HOWTO explaining Apache on RedHat. We can
>>>ask the Apache Sever Foundation and RedHat Inc to review the HOWTO.
>>>It is good for them and good for us.
>>>
>>>Or similarly if there is a HOWTO on installing Covalent on Linux, we
>>>can ask the Covalent to review the HOWTO, and let them insert an
>>>advertisement to their products in return for the review.
>>>

>>This is an absolutely fantastic idea, and a great way to make sure that
>>the technical aspects of some of the documents are accurate.
>>

>I stongly disagree.  LDP docs need to be neutral and not promote one
>company over another.  Thus they shouldn't contain any advertising or
>unjustified bias towards a certain product.  Also, LDP should produce
>free documentation for free software.  Covalent software isn't free.
>
>In the case of hardware, it's a different story since some hardware
>companies don't well document (if at all) how to use their hardware with
>Linux.  Sometimes hardware companies will help provide info or even
>write descriptions of their product in a "standard form" created by the
>author.  But the author has to be careful not to show unjustified
>favoritism in the HOWTO.

If someone displays an ad in the howto that doesnt mean the howto should
cater specifically to the whims and fantasies of the advertiser. If its
non obstrusive and helps better the quality of the documentation I would
welcome it. LDP is a important part of the community. I would welcome
more sponspored people working on it.

Regards
Rahul SUndaram