discuss: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO(OT)

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO(OT)
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 04:41:07 -0000

Jutta Wrage wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:07:02 +0530
>rahul ####@####.#### wrote:
>

>>Linuxchik site tells me that it was started in an effort to create a
>>more friendly list where people dont tell stuff like RTFM
>>

>The question is not RTFM or not. The quesion is: Why do these newbie
>women try to find women only groups? What goes wrong in men dominated
>groups that women get anxious to ask their questions there?
>
>Forbidding women only parking places will not reduce attacks on women
>in darkness.
>
>cu
>
>Jutta

You will have to keep in mind that providing woman only parking places
is only a temporary solution. Instead or rectifying the actual problem
we create a safety net. There is nothing wrong with that approach but it
is *not* the longterm solution

If you want to lessen the impact of any discrimination get your female
friends out there to the LUG's with you. Dont complain if you have to be
the only woman in the group and people react differently. This is *not*
sexism. Its a natural but uncomfortable reaction

regards
Rahul Sundaram