discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Dec 2003 05:30:54 -0000

Incoming from Mary Gardiner:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003, s. keeling wrote:
> > Incoming from Val Henson:
> > >
> > > Please reread HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux then.  The entire
> >
> > I'm afraid for me, that isn't the solution.  Replacing medieval
> > attitudes with reverse discrimination doesn't strike me as much of
> > step forward.
>
> It's completely off-topic here, but one of the things emerging from this
> thread is: well, there seems to be a problem. As far as I've seen no
> poster has denied that Val's document is based on actual anecdotes

All I would suggest is a little objectivity.  Stand off from it a bit
and say loud and clear:

   "These are true reports that many women in the community attest to
   having happened to them far too often.  This is not to say that
   they're representative of a majority, or even of a large minority, of
   male attitudes in the community.  That a significant minority do
   act in ways this HOWTO reports should be accepted based on these
   eye-witness reports."

   "As for how to re-dress the situation, this HOWTO suggests some
   alternatives.  Consider these the voices of an oppressed minority
   hoping to improve things from within."

> I won't encourage discussion of it here because of it's off-topicness
> (unless it relates very directly to the HOWTO in particular) but it
> would be appropriate on, for example, the LinuxChix lists.

I'm sorry, but this HOWTO has already explained to me that I would not
be fully welcome there.

- -