discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Mary Gardiner ####@####.####
Date: 8 Dec 2003 05:07:38 -0000

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Val Henson:
> >
> > Please reread HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux then.  The entire
>
> I'm afraid for me, that isn't the solution.  Replacing medieval
> attitudes with reverse discrimination doesn't strike me as much of
> step forward.

It's completely off-topic here, but one of the things emerging from this
thread is: well, there seems to be a problem. As far as I've seen no
poster has denied that Val's document is based on actual anecdotes
(although the extent to which these anecdotes represent the normal
experience of women in LUGs and Linux groups is disputed).  Assuming the
truth of these anecdotes, it seems that most people would rather that
they didn't happen. What's the step forward, if not things like this
HOWTO?

I won't encourage discussion of it here because of it's off-topicness
(unless it relates very directly to the HOWTO in particular) but it
would be appropriate on, for example, the LinuxChix lists.

-Mary