discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Dec 2003 04:52:25 -0000

At 19:31 12/7/2003, Jutta Wrage wrote:
>And I think, those who don't want to change anything in their own
>behavior, even would not, if the content would be somewhat watered down.

<grin> In my experience, those who do not want to change or who do not want
to see their errors... simply will not. It does not matter how softly or
loudly you speak, or how big a stick you have with which to hit them.
That's part of my point: this HOWTO (like most anything else you can try)
will fail to convert the true caveman. He just does not want to be
converted, and will likely never bother reading the document in the first
place.

So aim not for the caveman target demographic; aim instead for the more
reasonable people with some bad upbringing or habits, and try to convert
THEM. For those people, a slightly more balanced document and a slightly
less feminist document would be more effective. It would be a truly great
document if it didn't manage to piss off a bunch of otherwise nice and
helpful males in the process... as it is now, good but not great.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz