discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Dec 2003 04:28:12 -0000

At 20:00 12/7/2003, Jutta Wrage wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:28:41 +0000 (UTC)
>Martin WHEELER ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > may I suggest you move to Northern Europe?
>
>This sentence makes me sure that the HOWTO is still needed.

Jutta, please... give Martin the benefit of the doubt. I have been here for
only a short time, but it is my impression that he is a calm, reasonable
man and I _know_ that I believe he has participated in this discussion with
respect for others' views and with coherent expression of his views. None
of those views to date have been extreme or in any way discriminatory.

Allow me to quote Martin's _FULL_ text:

>Then if your chosen community's natural bents are not to your liking,
>may I suggest you move to Northern Europe?
>The cave dwellers here are of a higher calibre.  {8-)

He was not insulting, rejecting, or disparaging. Rather, he was commenting
that Val's community appears to be filled with much less-desirable
characters than his own, and INVITING her to join a much more welcoming,
fair, equitable, and open society. In particular, his "cave dwellers"
remark I thought was a rather elegant way to be humorous about how even the
worst of his neighbors are not that bad. See the smiley face, even?

Forgive my bluntness: if you will participate in a calm, reasoned debate on
subjects like this, you MUST (for everyone's sake) attempt to discern when
offense was truly meant, and attempt never to take offense unless you
believe it was intended. Even then, I suggest it is better if you never
take offense, period... in this kind of forum or community, anyone stepping
out of line will incur a far higher cost in lost reputation and stature
among the rest of us than you could possibly cause him by retaliating. An
angry retort is hardly ever your best choice.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz