discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Mary Gardiner ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 21:52:52 -0000

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003, rahul wrote:
> > I am curious about the amount of non chicks in the list. Any
> > statistics?
>
> No, we don't check gender.

I should clarify this before someone calls me on it: there is one list
(of ten or so?) which is meant to be female-only and you ask asked to
write a short statement saying that this is so.

This list therefore is close to 100% female. (Yes if you're male and you
really really really want to, you could lie and get on it. There's no
point in pretending you can't.)

On the other lists, we don't collect any information at all about
subscribers except their email address (and sometimes their name, since
for some reason the new version of mailman asks for it) and whatever
personal information they choose to post to the lists. Most people lurk,
we don't know anything about them.

-Mary

PS I'm not really willing to discuss LinuxChix off-list. The only reason
for this is that I don't have time for lengthy individual email
exchanges. But any questions you could possibly ask me could also be
answered on the LinuxChix lists.