discuss: Re: Encouraging Diversity in Linux

Subject: Re: Encouraging Diversity in Linux
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 21:30:29 -0000

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting David Horton ####@####.####
>

>>How about expanding the scope of the document and titling it
>>"Encouraging Diversity in Linux?"
>

> That might be a worthwhile document.  However, it would be a
> fundamentally different one from top to bottom.  You might want to
> volunteer to write it as an addition.

Actually I don't think it would have to be an altogether different
document.  Here's why...

There is mention that games and classes are aimed toward men.  That may
be true, but they are also aimed toward younger generations.  So maybe
that could be mentioned.

In the Do and Don't section there is "do not tell sexist jokes."  What
about "Do not tell sexist or racist jokes," or just "Do not tell
offensive jokes."

There are also examples that would apply to anyone such as "Do show
respect", "Don't take the keyboard away", "Do give directions and
explain them clearly", "Do act friendly", "Do treat new arrivals
politely", etc., etc..  In particular I would think that people of my
parents' generation would feel uncomfortable in some of these situations
since they did not grow up with computers and may feel less confident.

The section that mentions hosting meetings with extra meat pizza and
beer would be just as relevant for vegetarians, people who do not eat
certain foods or consume alcohol for religious reasons, reformed
alcholics and people watching their cholesterol.

In short I don't think it would take a whole new document, just a few
tweaks.

Dave