discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 17:32:57 -0000

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:18:02PM +0530, rahul wrote:
> Well. We really dont have many women in the LUG's around here(India). If
> some girl turns up people are bound to notice esp if she is attractive

We don't call them "girl"s, we call them women. Just like we don't call
men "boys."

> Encouraging men to participate in Linux chik is bound to be more useful.
> I would honestly like to understand the issues better. If females talk
> around with other females and bash males who didnt behave as they should
> what are we trying to achieve here?

You have /no/ idea what happens at LinuxChix, obviously. Read the
archives, I'd especially recommend the TechTalk mailing list. It is NOT
about male bashing. It is about providing technical advice in a "safe"
environment. http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/

> Your howto is not technical. It addresses a important problem. It should
> stay within the collection along with a good number of other non
> technical howtos. It probably will remain controversial but I would
> appreciate a balanced approach.

How would you change the document to present a "balanced approach?"

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]