discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 06:38:47 -0000

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 22:20, David Lawyer wrote:
> and gross exaggerations.  The ...Women... HOWTO doesn't say
> such things like: women are many times better in Linux than men are (as
> Al Dev might have said).  Al Dev's stuff was far worse than this HOWTO.
> In fact, I think the quality of this HOWTO is OK.  But the question is
> just how far should HOWTOs go beyond the topic of documenting Linux?
>
> The political and social ramifications of Linux are immense, and a lot
> has been written about such topics.  Should LDP include such material?
> But the reasons why there are not more women in Linux are essentially
> the same as why there are not more women in computing or engineering.
> So this HOWTO's scope is actually much broader than just Linux.  For this
> reason, I have my doubts as to whether it should be in the collection but
> since it's already been accepted, I wouldn't vote for its removal.
> The fact that the author is in on this discussion and is willing to
> consider changes is also positive.

On the subject of non-technical material, we have another Guide coming
into the collection which was edited and converted to DocBook over the
summer.  From the Linux Professional Institute, it's called "Guide to
Managing Media and Public Relations in the Linux Community."  A
completely non-technical document, it's highly relevant to the Linux
community, as is the Encouraging Women in Linux, and some of the other
(albiet few) non-technical docs in the collection.  Hopefully we'll have
the Media Guide up by mid-month, the author's target date to complete
the final review.  I think everyone will like it!  I bring it up as a
good example of non-technical, *relevant* material we should encourage.

Perhaps the Linux Advocacy and Hobbyist categories should be easier to
find from the main page?  Would this help to identify that they still
fill some sort of need, though they aren't directly related to hardware
and software?  I guess I found them easily enough when I went to the
list of categorized HOWTOs, and they were already categorized out of the
way of hardware and software subjects, but finding the categories isn't
necessarily a breeze either.  Maybe these don't need any special
attention; just wondering if it would help.

These types of documents may not need to be updated as often, but I echo
your sentiments - I'm glad Val's having a look at the content of her
work, and I hope that all the authors of non-technical documents will do
the same.  :D

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall