discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Megan Payne ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 02:27:06 -0000

Rick Moen wrote:

> Is this necessarily a problem?  The HOWTO purports to summarise the
> views of a group of 19 notable female Linux users (and others) about a
> problem, and their recommendations.  Relevant questions appear to be:
> (1) Is that reporting accurate?  (2) Does their advice merit mention?
>
> It seems reasonable to give Henson's reporting the benefit of the doubt.
> She's articulate and speaks with precision where she aims to.  That
> leaves the second question -- and whether you (or I) agree with the
> proposed remedies doesn't seem especially pertinent to the question.
> Either LDP wants people to know of that group's analysis and
> recommendations, or not.  Personally, I'd want to know.

Personally, I have been on the receiving end of most of the behaviors in
the HOWTO.

After following this thread, I tend to believe that this HOWTO should be
included. It should be noted that some of these behaviors could turn men
away from Linux as well. There are plenty of men who don't want to go
into dark alleys and when confronted about their knowledge or ideas in a
very public manner will avoid rather than respond. However, I don't know
of many men who have been told they are too cute/have too big of breasts
to have anything to contribute. People stop saying such things to me, I
will write back and advocate dropping the HOWTO.

Megan