discuss: Re: WHATIS documents

Subject: Re: WHATIS documents
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Dec 2003 02:16:51 -0000

LDP has it's hands full right now with it's problems of out-of-date
documentation and lack of documentation in many areas.  The proposed
WHATIS documents would significantly broaden the scope of LDP.  That
would be great but I would like to see us first make significant
progress in our main area of effort.  How long this will take is unknown
but it's likely to be years.

WHATIS documents would often be about topics which also pertain to other
Operating Systems, including Windows.  That's OK, since this info is
also needed by people in Linux.  But for me, I don't want to spend any
time at all on WHATIS projects.  I just don't think it has a high enough
priority.  Perhaps WHATIS documents for computing in general (with
emphasis on Linux, etc.) could be a whole new project outside of LDP.

Instead, I want to help in the review effort and promote recruiting of
more authors and reviewers, after greatly simplifying what they need to read
and do (but hopefully with little decrease in the quality of their work).

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:19:38PM
-0500, John R. Daily wrote:
> Well, the silent death of this thread may be a harbinger of the
> relevance and interest level.  I'll recap some issues for posterity.
[snip]