discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2003 21:59:42 -0000

Quoting s. keeling ####@####.####

[The previously cited statements that the HOWTO debunked in passing:]

> My point was that they were so vacuous and illogical that it's beneath
> us to even consider discussing them.

Ordinarily, I'd agree.  But in the context described, I have indeed
heard what amount to those things either said or clearly implied.  But I
wouldn't be the least surprised if Alberta Linux users weren't generally
more polite and clueful than those in Silicon Valley.  ;->

[HOWTO adresses notion of what to do about implications that women are
less intelligent...]

> Poorly.

I note without objection that you've shifted your view:  A moment ago,
you were faulting Henson's HOWTO for not specifying what to do about it.
Now, you're saying it does, but you dislike what it says.

Everyone in this discussion is, I'm sure, sincere and well intended,
but I think I'm hearing the sound of a lot of knees jerking.  For example:

> The howto infers that part of the fault for the existence of an
> unsupportive atmosphere is me and the fact I'm not female.

Stephen, I simply can't find that in the text.

[Stephen feels text "condemns" him for proximity to "bad apples"]

> That's what that paragraph suggests to me.

Well, it could be a chromosonally-induced hallucination, but this looks
to me like a straw-man objection to a claim not, in fact, present.

[Similar stuff elided.]

> I'm not at all suggesting this document is without merit.  I know many
> would benefit from it.  I'm objecting to its manner of redressing the
> situation.

Is this necessarily a problem?  The HOWTO purports to summarise the
views of a group of 19 notable female Linux users (and others) about a
problem, and their recommendations.  Relevant questions appear to be:
(1) Is that reporting accurate?  (2) Does their advice merit mention?

It seems reasonable to give Henson's reporting the benefit of the doubt.
She's articulate and speaks with precision where she aims to.  That
leaves the second question -- and whether you (or I) agree with the
proposed remedies doesn't seem especially pertinent to the question.
Either LDP wants people to know of that group's analysis and
recommendations, or not.  Personally, I'd want to know.

--
Cheers,    "Cthulhu loves me, this I know; because the High Priests tell me so!
Rick Moen   He won't eat me, no, not yet.  He's my Elder God, dank and wet!"