discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2003 16:23:47 -0000

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:24:33PM -0500, Raymond wrote:
> It may be just my opinion, but it seems to me that the 'Encourage Women
> in Linux' HOWTO is a lot less about getting men to encourage women to
> use Linux and more about male bashing.

First thought, "Wow, you're /definitely/ not a woman if you have problems
with this document." Then I had other, more colourful, thoughts when rahul
said this was "another Al Dev episode."

I have had to deal with many, many of the problems
that are outlined in the document. I'm sorry that you feel it's man
bashing, however, I think it highlights problems that /men/ may not have
noticed themselves. Since becoming a freelancer, I've found there are far
fewer problems to deal with than at work, but I still get the odd email
saying, "You use linux on your laptop, and you're a girl? That's so hot."
*barf* The worst part is, the people who are emailing me these things
don't even realize they're being sexist!! And that's exactly the point
that's made on
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x302.html

As it stands, I do not have a problem with this document; however, as
Tille mentioned, I don't think the LDP is the correct home for it. It is
not a technical HOWTO, it is a social HOWTO. As far as I've found it's the
only HOWTO housed at the LDP which is not technical in nature. I think it
makes more sense for the document to be housed on the LinuxChix site and
for related documents like the install fest (etc) to link to the document,
if the authors feel it's appropriate.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin