discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: "s. keeling" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2003 07:19:30 -0000

Incoming from Rick Moen:
> Quoting Raymond ####@####.####
>
> > It may be just my opinion, but it seems to me that the 'Encourage
> > Women in Linux' HOWTO is a lot less about getting men to encourage
> > women to use Linux and more about male bashing.
>
> Raymond, I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended:  I've observed
> every one of the "Don'ts" Val Henson describes, during Linux community

I'm sure we all know men who lack "gender sensitivity" (or who default
to treating women like sh*t without realizing they're doing it).  The
women I know and respect don't hang around men like that for long
(without going into attack mode, that is).  There's just as many women
out there with perverse attitudes wrt men.

I'm just as disgusted by men like that as I am by "Women Only Support
Groups."  Treat me as less than a potential equal and guess what kind
of an attitude you're going to get back.

People are people.  We're all individuals.  I don't give a rat's ass
for whatever manner in which you're packaged.  That has no bearing on
anything that's of any importance to me.  Darwin and biology and
species imperatives be damned.  If you know something I don't know,
you're my kind of person.

What gender equality has to do with operating systems, I cannot imagine.

- -