discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Re: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 6 Dec 2003 06:57:32 -0000

Quoting Raymond ####@####.####

> It may be just my opinion, but it seems to me that the 'Encourage
> Women in Linux' HOWTO is a lot less about getting men to encourage
> women to use Linux and more about male bashing.

[snip]

Raymond, I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended:  I've observed
every one of the "Don'ts" Val Henson describes, during Linux community
events, directed overwhelmingly at the women present.  It's been quite
dismaying to see.  Myriad examples come to mind (which I'll spare
everyone).

Moreover, agree with the advice given or not, it's obviously the
condensed observations of the 2002 OLS LinuxChix BOF's attendees, and
worth noting as such.  Trusting to the author's reporterial accuracy
seems reasonable, regardless of one's view.

(Data point, offered in the spirit of modesty:  Albeit male, hetero, and
a Silicon Valley Linux nerd and LUG organiser -- and an unrepentantly
overprivileged & effete Norwegian-American suburbanite to boot -- I
browsed Henson's text without feeling bashed.)

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."