discuss: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO

Subject: Review needed of 'Encourage Women in Linux' HOWTO
From: Raymond ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2003 22:19:01 -0000

It may be just my opinion, but it seems to me that the 'Encourage Women
in Linux' HOWTO is a lot less about getting men to encourage women to
use Linux and more about male bashing.

I think any person with a reasonably moderate disposition, who believes
in fairness and equality for all people, will find the content of this
document questionable with regard to how it is helping, men to, encourage
women in Linux.

Although there are some truths in the document, much of the information is
overly opinionated and relies on sweeping generalizations--which can hardly
be considered truth.

Don't take my word for it though. Read it for yourself. Discuss it amongst
a fairly mixed group of people.

 From my perspective, I have had a lot of the aversities written about in
the document happen to me. And so much so even though I am a white male of
european descent. It would seem then that if obstructions could be in the
way for someone like me who is supposed to have all the advantages, then by
that reasoning problems could obstruct anybody's way in Linux. But then again
I may just be an exception to the rules.

This brings the point home. To be fair to everyone. Judge everyone on their
own merits. Not to see in just black and white. This document definitely goes
to extremes in its differentiation between the sexes and then turns around
and says to be fair--quite contradictory. Indeed, it contradicts the whole
purpose of a HOWTO document--to inform, not to persuade or coerce.

I hope this HOWTO can be reviewed to the benefit of all. As it stands, I do
not feel encouraged by the document to introduce women to Linux--I would do
it whether or not this HOWTO ever existed.

Raymond: Martin