discuss: status of Wiki?

Subject: Re: status of Wiki?
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 2 Dec 2003 22:28:57 -0000

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Saqib Ali wrote:

>  I was wondering if there is a co-ordinated effort by
> the TLDP officials to integrate Wiki into the main website.

None that I currently know of.  But it's quite obviously getting near
the time to do so.  (Otherwise the LDP risks getting overtaken by the
Wikipaedia [almost 200 000 articles to date], and writers will just move
over.)

> About 2 years back I had created a Wiki page for a HOWTO I wrote. I was
> very disappointed at the minimal use of the Wiki.

 .. been there, done that, felt the pain ..   :)

> I was hoping to see more
> feedback from the readers. Instead most of the feedback I got was through
> emails. I realized that Wiki has to be somehow integrated into the main
> TLDP website, to make full use of the Wiki.

I heartily agree.
Not only is it the official (canonical) site; it's also a focal point
that attracts many readers who could be sidetracked into contributing
something of their own for the project.
So, webmasters -- how about it?  A little wiki somewhere on the site for
folks to write ideas into?
Go for it.

(And if it doesn't work, you can always blow it away, later.)

Failing that, we can all go dump our texts into the Wikipaedia --
there's actually nothing to stop us from doing that as things are,
anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to upgrade my own wiki to MediaWiki, so as to be
able to include sign-on writers areas, and a search box.

Cheers,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/