discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 28 Nov 2003 23:36:49 -0000

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:16:12PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:45:11PM -0700, doug jensen wrote:
> > The Linux Documentation Project is in the process of cleaning the
> > repository.  You are listed as maintainer of Foo-HOWTO, that hasn't been
> > updated recently.  Could you please review your HOWTO and post your
> > opinion of its current usability to ####@####.####  If you cannot
> > respond within ten days, your HOWTO might be removed from the
> > distribution of current HOWTOs or removed from the archive completely.
> > Thank you for your consideration, and please respond to
> > ####@####.####
>
> This is, I think, a little too blunt and 10 days isn't enough time.  The
> tone seems too haughty and overbearing.  Suppose someone is on vacation,

Yes, but the suggestion in the thread at that time was, to remove all
HOWTOs, without notification, if not updated this century.

> etc.  What about "LDP is making efforts to keep the HOWTOs more
> up-to-date".  Also, some may know all about their HOWTO and not need to
> review it.  So we might ask if they could let us know the status of the
> HOWTO and what they think should be done with it.  Also, we could ask
> how useful they think it is it in its present condition.  We could say
> that we would be delighted if they have time to update it and to please
> respond promptly to this message so that we will know the status of the
> document.  Then LDP needs to answer each reply.

Thats find with me.  Would you mind rewriting it the way you want, I'm
not sure exactly what you want written (if needed, see below).

> I would not make any threat for pulling it nor set a time limit for
> reply.  Then send a followup letter if no reply.

Well, I did include "might" :).  Ummm..., if the goal is to clean the
collection, that is, move some HOWTOs to Unmaintained.  I think we should
try to communicate that to the author/maintainer (is that the "followup
letter").  If the goal is only to make contact, then I agree, but I'm not
confident that will do much good.  I've tried to contact, four or five, of
the maintainers of old HOWTOs, in regards to bugs files with Debian.  So far,
I think, there have been zero responses.  I'm willing to send emails on behalf
of TLDP, but not without authorization from the staff members, that are active
on this list.  I would also prefer the goal to be; moving stale HOWTOs to
Unmaintained, if the authors don't respond with an update.

I think most agree that something should be done, but I'm not so sure
that they support this approach.  Maybe something is being done behind
the black curtain ;)?  Thoughts/suggestions/advise?

--
Doug Jensen